THIS LITTLE LIFE

!

Wednesday 23 February 2011

Half term is lovely


The Museum of Museums at Trafford Park was very, very good.  Thomas nearly exploded when he saw Tutankhamun's death mask (replica, pictured above).  His class have been learning about Ancient Egypt, so this was a real treat for them to be able to see what the treasures from the pharaoh's tomb actually looked like.  I was pretty blown away myself, even though I've been to Egypt and have seen the Valley of the Kings and the Queens, and the Temple of Karnak.  There was no treasure to be seen in Luxor, since all of the grave goods are now kept in Cairo.  It was wonderful, even though the exhibits in Manchester were replicas, to see the detail of the engravings on every surface of gold.  The hieroglyphs are so clear, so neat, just exquisite.  What I wouldn't give for that time machine just now, to go back and watch these pieces being made.  The death mask was incredible, the coffins that it was hidden inside, the shrines that the coffins were hidden inside - the whole set up was like a truly massive Russian doll!

They were nested, like so:


1-4 were the shrines, I believe, and 5 was a stone box, and b-d were the coffins.  Go and have a look on Google Images and Wikipedia if you want to get a better idea of the wonders that we saw.  Sadly, I am a pillock, and forgot to take my camera.  I was more excited about the prospect of getting to spend a whole day with Thomas with no little brothers around taking up all my attention :)  Completely forgot, until we got there, that we would be seeing some highly photographable objects.  My friend Sara did take some photos, and her daughter Abi was very good at telling me where each god and goddess was represented, so it may be that I will have more photos to show later in the week.

The rest of the week will provide nothing so exciting to report.  The boys are now poorly, with random feverishness, and we are having a few lazy days.  Playmobil is the plaything of choice today.  Tomorrow it may be Lego.  We did visit the Lego shop at the Trafford Centre, but apart from little Lego figure keyrings, we did manage to resist buying anything.  It was all so deliciously tempting - I think I was more excited than Thomas!  I REALLY wanted to buy some Harry Potter and Star Wars Lego.  But the boys were spoilt enough over Christmas, and we have no money left.  The boys are getting used to this being said: 'you can't have everything you want' :)

Sorry it's all a bit boring at our house at the moment.  Well, we're not bored, but we're not doing anything that's interesting to talk about.  We might bake a cake this afternoon.  Maybe not.  Who cares.  We might just watch films ALL day.

I'm not complaining or anything, perfectly and blissfully happy and excited about the future, as always; but I wouldn't mind a bit of sunshine and warmth now.  Come on Spring, I'm ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment