THIS LITTLE LIFE

!

Tuesday 10 May 2011

Things we wish we had more time to do...

My mum pointed me in the direction of this website today: http://www.lauralaine.net, the website of the artist, Laura Laine.  She draws girls with beautiful hair.  Some of her pieces are used to advertise perfumes and designer bags and so on.  But I'm not much interested in that, I just thought that the hair was amazing.

Source: http://www.lauralaine.net/

And it reminded me that I have been wanting to sketch more.  I'm one of these people who has lots of plans, lots of things in the pipeline, lots of projects on the go.  Some of them might be on the go for years without me ever actually devoting any time to them.  My mum is very good at getting lots of things done, and is always starting a new book for one thing or another.  Sometimes I think she fills them!  I can actually do lots of things a little bit: I can draw, I can paint, I can play several instruments, I can sing, I can act, I can write, I can cook, I can dance, I can sew, I can knit, I can crochet.  I can do all of these things a little bit.  But sometimes I think that that is not the way I want to be; I want to be very good at a couple of those things.  Trouble is that I'm fickle, you see.  I practise one instrument for a few weeks, and then I get bored, and then another instrument looks far more appealing, so I switch.  Drawing is one that I want to be able to do without putting in the required effort.  Drawing, for me, takes such a long time, and I am not patient enough to put in the hours.  Same with painting, of course.

Hmm, I don't know if there is much I can do about this.  I think I am Elizabeth Bennett, and will probably never be properly accomplished: 'I am not a great reader, and take pleasure in many things'.  I think this is alright, I think it's allowed.

Actually, writing is the only thing I've ever stuck at for such a long period of time.  Ah, but that does not really signify much, since I have not finished anything!

Maybe one day I will be patient and disciplined enough to finish something.  Until that time I will just have to be satisfied with my flighty self.

Oh, once I did finish a whole big cross-stitch.  And I finished a baby cardigan too.  Don't think I've ever finished anything else though.  Very often I don't even finish my thoughts, or sentenc....

No comments:

Post a Comment