THIS LITTLE LIFE

!

Wednesday 28 April 2010

... erm ...

I'm posting today, because I feel like I should. It's been a few days without a post from me now, so I really should write something. I have nothing interesting to say at the moment though. It's one of those weeks that just passes. Nothing exciting has happened, nothing exciting is due to happen, and everything is just nice. It's difficult to write about nice though. Nice is quite boring really. The weather's ... nice. Erm, the boys are all behaving beautifully this week, which is ... nice. Erm. Hmm.

Oh. I've just remembered something that might be a bit interesting. When I was in the Music Spot on Saturday, buying some picks and strings, I saw a flyer on the notice board. It was asking for ladies to join a group of singers. It's a new group, not started up yet, and they are planning to sing madrigals and close harmony a cappella (although, I've just realised that they spelled a cappella wrong - can I stand to work with a group of people who cannot spell?!)

This is what a madrigal is:
madrigal |ˈmadrigəl|nouna part-song for several voices, esp. one of the Renaissance period, typically arranged in elaborate counterpoint and without instrumental accompaniment. Originally used of a genre of 14th-century Italian songs, the term now usually refers to English or Italian songs of the late 16th and early 17th c., in a free style strongly influenced by the text.

So I thought I might pop them an email, and ask for more information. Since I saw a little Baroque concert at the Cathedral with my mum before Christmas, I've been thinking that it would be lovely to sing in a sort of choir. And this style of music is very beautiful, and quite different. I don't know much about it at all, but it does appeal, nonetheless.

Apparently, this is a madrigal costume - but I just pilfered it off Google images, so I have no idea if it has anything to do with singing! I wonder if madrigal singers are required to wear such attire? Ooh, I hope so - it'd be lovely to wear a dress like that :)


No comments:

Post a Comment