THIS LITTLE LIFE

!

Tuesday 13 April 2010

Oh, what a blessed relief!

Oh, I'm so pleased - I've been released from the horrible spell of Twilight :) I'm very happy to be myself again. For the past week I've been reading in every spare minute I could find, because I was being compelled to do so by the story that had gripped me. But I'm reading the fourth book of the series now, Breaking Dawn, and it's nowhere near as good as the first three. It's okay, I'm obviously going to finish it - and I do hope that the second half is better than the first half. But I'm not really bothered now. It's been spoiled by the silly plot twist. The reason I loved the first three books was because they were, in a strange way, believable. Alongside the purely fantastical, there was a strong thread of realism, that tied the story to our world, and made it somehow relatable. I know, it's about vampires, weird! That thread has completely disappeared in the fourth book, which is a real shame. I really think Stephenie Meyer went off in the wrong direction with this one - she could have done anything with the story, but she chose to take it off in a very silly direction that I've just found annoying. I've lost sympathy for all of the characters, bar one. Even my beloved Edward is irritating me. He was deliciously frightening, though we loved him, in the first three books - but that's all gone in the fourth book. He's a very pale reflection (ha ha! Yeah, yeah, course he is, 'cause he's a vampire!!) of his former self - but not in the way that Meyer intended him to be, as far as I can see. I think we're supposed to feel sorry for him, but I just want to slap him and tell him to snap out of it. And as for our heroine, Bella - I just cannot stand her in this book. I don't like selfish characters, and she's the very selfishest I've ever read! She's proper doin' me 'ead in! It's usually fine to dislike self-serving characters, but I don't think we're meant to dislike this one - we're still meant to love her. But I wouldn't really be mind, at this point in the story, if she were killed off.

*Sighs deeply, in contentment* I'm so happy to be back in the real world - I was getting worried that I wouldn't find my way out of my daydreams! But I was like this when I read Harry Potter too, and I came out the other side of that just fine - the only difference was that HP held my attention for the full seven books. I hope Meyer doesn't write any more in this series - I'd have to read them if she did, because it's probably one of my little obsessive compulsions; but I would read them reluctantly.

I'm looking forward to tomorrow. We're hopefully spending the day at Willison's Park (Williamson's Park actually, but the boys have all called it Willison's as they've been learning to talk). Thomas and I are hoping to get up there in the morning while the others are at playschool, and we want to hide some treasures up there. Then we'll pick up the littlies after lunch and go back to the park and let James and Matthew try to find the treasures. I don't know what the treasures will be, or whether they'll stay hidden long enough for us to pick up the other two boys and get back, but it'll be nice to be out in the fresh air all day anyway. We wasted this morning's sunshine, by staying in our pyjamas and flobbing about the house. Sometimes flobbing is exactly what's required, but probably not when it's sunshiney outside.

Ahhhhhh, joy and bliss. And life returns to normal - excellent :D

No comments:

Post a Comment