THIS LITTLE LIFE

!

Wednesday 30 June 2010

Allie Brosh - Hyperbole and a Half


The picture above is clickable, and will take you to Allie's blog :)
(Oops, sorry, it's not clickable - didn't work. Try clicking here instead!)

I know I've mentioned this blog before, but I just want to highlight it again. It is the most stupendously funny and original and inventive and creative and ridiculous blog I've ever read, and I love it to bits ( - alright, I've only being reading blogs for about five months, but I've read one or two). Allie Brosh makes me want to completely change the way I blog. She makes me want to strive to be funnier, and to look at the world in a completely different way. Does she see the world in cartoons? Is everything in her life completely mental? When I've read one of her posts, wiped the tears of hysterical joy from my eyes, and done some shaking-of-my-head-in-complete-awe at the amount of work and love and pride that goes into one of them, I feel completely inadequate. I feel shamed by the fact that I am not funny like Allie. I want to BE Allie! Allie is my idol! Allie, Allie, ALLIE!

I am not alone with this overwhelming feeling of idol-worship. If you read the comments that Allie gets after each and every post, you can see that many people adore her and want to imitate her. Many people wish they could use Paint as skilfully as our beloved Allie. She makes us want to draw, and so we have a go, and feel even more inadequate, because it takes us about five minutes to find the right buttons to draw a circle exactly the right way. We wonder whether Allie takes five minutes over a circle, or whether she can lay down a perfectly detailed and hilarious picture in the time it has taken us to draw our circle. Then we look at our circle again, and realise that even this little bit of nothing is rubbish compared to one of Allie's circles. Then we wonder if Allie has better software than us? I only have Word on my MacBook, and if I want to draw pictures I should probably get something better. Word Art on the Mac is rubbish. I have just drawn this to illustrate my point:


See what I mean? This doesn't even look anything like me! I had a problem with the hair, and this is the best I could do. You can't draw freehand in Word on the Mac. I need something that has virtual brushes. This little picture took me about five hours to draw. Alright, that's not actually true - I'm not so completely incompetent. But it did take longer than I would have liked.

So, I hope you take a look at Hyperbole and a Half. If you like it, then I'm glad that I brought something into your life that made you smile. If you don't like it, then what the heebies is up with you?!

I would like to swear as Allie does. Her swearing rocks! But I don't think it would seem right on my blog - I think it might possibly offend my readers, who I believe have delicate sensibilities and are easily shocked (I wonder if I could get up to a thousand followers by Christmas? How do people GET that many followers?! Do I need to advertise? Should I do a leaflet drop?)

Have a happy day friendies :)


No comments:

Post a Comment