THIS LITTLE LIFE

!

Monday 19 July 2010

Snip

That should be fine now. I've done it. I've had this fine, fine figurative length of imperceptible scart-type cable* (or perhaps a HDMI**, or possibly USB***, or maybe even more of a Bluetooth**** sort of scenario) connecting my brain and my computer for the past few weeks. The connection is made without my awareness from time to time, quite possibly in a Matrix type of way. I think some race of being with superior intelligence is trying to get me to be on the computer as much as possible, and keeps plugging me in and making me addicted to applications such as Facecloth and *gasp*, Blogger! Perhaps they feed on my brain waves when I'm in the catatonic state that I slide into when the MacBook hums into life.

*SCART (from Syndicat des Constructeurs d'Appareils Radiorécepteurs et Téléviseurs, Radio and Television Receiver Manufacturers' Association) is a French-originated standard and associated 21-pin connector for connecting audio-visual (AV) equipment together

**HDMI (High-Definition Multimedia Interface) is a compact audio/video interface for transmitting uncompressed digital data.

***Universal Serial Bus (USB) is a specification[1] to establish communication between devices and a host controller (usually personal computers), developed and invented by Ajay Bhatt while working for Intel.

****Bluetooth is an open wireless technology standard for exchanging data over short distances (using short length radio waves) from fixed and mobile devices, creating personal area networks (PANs) with high levels of security.

Anywaaaaaaay...

I'd noticed that I'd been using any feeble excuse, lately, to stick children's telly on and plonk my little 'uns in front of it, just so's I could play on the computer all day. Really, there was no sense in it at all - sitting around, waiting for people to respond to my comments on Facecloth, browsing on various Spend-Money-On-Stuff-You-Don't-Need websites when none of my friends seemed to be online, checking my email every few minutes even though I wasn't expecting any messages. Very silly waste of time. And what the hell was I thinking? My James is now in his last few weeks of being-at-home, and he will be at school very soon. And I was sitting on the computer ignoring him? I could have been spending this time with him, just doing anything we wanted to do, anything at all, not even preparing him for school, just enjoying his company. It's not surprising that he's been so grumpy lately, is it?! Rotten mother I've been.

So, I've done it. And I feel very good, released you might say. Are you wondering what it is that I've done? Is it annoying you that I haven't got to the point yet? Ha! Well, I've done it, as I said. I've cut the tie that has been binding me to the computer. Got a figurative pair of very sharp and very pointy dressmaking scissors (they're always very sharp are dressmaking scissors - they have to be to cut through wriggly fabric), and snipped right through that two-way connection with my beautiful MacBook. I've placated it with a promise to check in with it every evening, and it's agreed to leave me alone during the day. I'm pleased.

I've done this for the sake of all of my boys, not just James, because it's the summer holidays the day after tomorrow, and none of us are going to have a very nice time if I'm constantly thinking about what I could be doing if I didn't have them with me. And I know what I'm like - I can't allow myself five minutes on the computer during the day, because it won't be five minutes, it'll end up being an hour, and then two, and so on... And it's even more important that I don't pick up a book while I'm with the kids - a book for me (my very favourite pastime) equates to a day of dullness for the boys. I become a zombie when I'm reading and they have to shout 'Muuuummmmmmaaaaaaayyyy' right in my face to get my attention, and then they get shouted at for interrupting me, and then they get shouted at for whatever mess they've made while I've been in my literary trance. See, I can be a rubbish mother at times.

This is the biggest bit of preparation I needed for the holidays: putting myself in the right frame of mind for being with Thomas, James and Matthew for the whole of the day, every day. So that's what it is that I've done really. What we actually do together isn't so important, because even if I don't stick to my list of things-to-do-and-places-to-go, it doesn't matter as the boys will have my attention for pretty much the whole holiday. That's the most important thing. Now I'm looking forward to chatting with them, talking complete nonsense, doing some tickling, playing with light-sabres, building with Lego, getting waterproofs on and splashing in puddles (there might well be a lot of that!), possibly some baking, lots of drawing and colouring and painting, maybe a little clay-modelling, definitely some dancing to Chris Evans's expertly spun tunes in the morning, and hopefully some general outdoorsy walking and stuff when the weather gets better. We're going to have a good time, it's all in my hands :)

Plus, an extra special bonus prize - we get Kev back, when this hated overtime finishes!! Yay!


Addendum:
Oh, I almost forgot, Jessica (Noomski's fiance) asked me to write this on my blog (to be read in a Geordie accent):
'Terry is so lucky to have this fantastic woman in his life. Not only does she have beauty, but she has wit and charm on her side, along with the talent of playing a good game of pool,' by Jessica.

No comments:

Post a Comment